As I sit here aging



Good, now on to retirement. I predict that my life shall be a long one and I always sort of figured I would end up habitating alone. Before I met my partner I pictured myself living in southern Vermont and occasionally riding my snowmobile into town to use the library. My hair is long and grey in this fantasy and furthermore, there are still libraries. After the climate craps out on us, southern Vermont may no longer be ideal. Sometimes I suspect I may end up in a Spanish speaking country...

But wherever in the world I am and no matter how close the zombie apocalypse is, I want to have a homestead. I want a few fruit trees, maybe one or two nut producing varieties. A pig (one per year) a few hens--never more than six, lots of berry briars, a small veggie garden (good for freshies and canning) and maybe some rabbits. (Someone else is clearly going to have to kill those for me.) Ok, forget the rabbits. I would only want to eat them once in a great while and everyone knows they breed like, well...rabbits.

Two things have happen at this point in the story, I'm either wildly famous or not. If famous then I am living out here to escape the hub-bub of every day life, if not, I am out here to escape the hub-bub of every day life...But I also work at a food co-op. The food co-op is so cloth bag home grown that I'm glad I didn't grow up here. I think of myself more as a Linda by now and my hair is kind of wavy in its steely greys and whites. I finally need glasses and they go great with the big rain boots I wear into work.  I'm holding out for Vermont cuz I looks so cute in layers. Plus  I prefer apples and peaches to mangoes and limes...but only marginally.

Perhaps I won't have time for the co op if my coffee house is still running. Here is what I knew about it back in may 2007

If I owned a coffee shop it would be near a college I liked, in town that didn't suck. With lots of big windows and full spectrum lights.
I would commission murals to be painted by local artist and black and white photographers would have to book my wall space months in advance.
I would reward people for having their own mugs. There would be no drive-through.
Things would be organic.
And cool young people with tats and green hair would cut your bagel.
I would carry local band's cds and have an open mic night at least once a week (minimum).
The sign would be flipped to "open" at 11Am and flipped again at 12Am.
 the Wifi would be free and near the door would be several 15 min computer terminals.
Over the years we would acquire an old thinning cat that accounts for half the charm of the place and many plants who will have very particular names.
I'd be saving for a solar panel or a wind mill and we'd only do fair trade.
I can't decide if I want checkered tiles or varnished planks on the floor around the raised stage, but I do know I would have a whole wall for book shelves full of pamphlets and all sorts of radical stuff. Chess sets and graffiti safe space bathrooms.
Everything would look slightly half-assed in that rebellious,  pointed manner. We'd be broke. But the array of found couches and curb side squishy chairs would sing up dust when you sake into it circa 19 70 somethin super fly ugly style.
In the basement there would be practice and studio spaces for rent.
And I havn't named it yet, but I trust it will be a pun...I dunno, sumthin perky.

If I owned a coffee shop it would be near a college I liked, in town that didn't suck. With lots of big windows and full spectrum lights.

Were I to include my baby in that dream I would say we could also have a role playing game night--no fourth ed. Sorry. And also a MMO night where folks could come in and play EVE, Starcraft or whatever else them crazy kids would be playin by then. Wouldn't it be fun to name sandwiches? How much would you love coming up with a logo?
...man, I can't wait to be old. My kids will like me (again) by then! I might even have a car.  I plan to be a forrunner in AI rights, but only to curry favor.  Atanyrate, you know I'm just being silly. I'll never ever be a Linda and I promise to make my kids hate me forever. But mostly, I fuckin hate snow and robots will have no use for me as I am not a technsion. Its cool though, I feel like a bike ride anyway.

Later, Gator.
You have read this article with the title As I sit here aging. You can bookmark this page URL http://trendcelebrity2014.blogspot.com/2010/10/as-i-sit-here-aging.html. Thanks!

No comment for "As I sit here aging"

Post a Comment