The songs we sang last summer


It's finally time to get the master list up of all the great bloggers and even better summer mixtapes. More will be added as they roll in, but you'll find any and (eventually) all at the end of this post. I'm very pleased to have AE guest posting and I sincerely hope you dig his tunes. If you like how he writes, make sure you head to his page and become a part of the conversation!

***********


The summer of 2013 has been a long summer, as all summers are once you finish college. Seriously though...who thought it would be a good idea to condition America's youth to have 2-3 months off in the middle of every year and interrupt their learning? My guess is it was an old man who was afraid of losing his job to younger competition. It works.
Wow...that got tangenty quick. Where was I...
As a huge fan of music, I tend to soundtrack my life. As a child I used my portable cassette player to make sure I entered every room to Foreigner's "Juke Box Hero", and I'll still exit my office to theme music (typically the 4th Movement of Dvorak's "New World Symphony") after a particularly good training. Not surprisingly, my summer had a soundtrack, which I want to share with all of you.
My 2013 Summer Soundtrack (pops to new window)
Mark Crozier and the Rels - Broken Out In Love
As a huge wrestling fan, I feel the introduction song is one of the most vital parts to opening any event. I chose to use the best entrance song I've heard in recent times to open this mixtape. Bray Wyatt debuted this summer with "Broken Out In Love" as his theme, and while his buzz has died down, his chilling entrance music is still catchy.
AFI - Too Shy To Scream
Speaking of catchy, I've been on a huge AFI kick for most of the summer. While my typical listening has been AFI's darker pieces, the upbeat "Too Shy To Scream" seems more appropriate for a Midwestern summer that was cooler than normal, both to my surprise and my delight.
Mumford and Sons - Thistle and Weeds
Name a good Mumford and Sons song besides "Thistle and Weeds". If your answer was anything besides 'there aren't any', you won't be moving on to Final Jeopardy. "Thistle and Weeds" has been stuck in my head for a few weeks now thanks to its appearance in an episode of Grey's Anatomy my girlfriend was watching, which has been a pleasant development considering how easy the song is to fall asleep to.
Maybeshewill - He Films The Clouds Pt. 2
I've been listening to a lot of classical/instrumental music over the past couple of years, and I've come to rediscover my love for music that relies heavily on the piano. That said, every song could use a good guitar solo, and this song has both. "He Films The Clouds Pt. 2" sounds like it belongs in the video game Katherine, which in and of itself is high praise considering the beautiful soundtrack that game possessed.
Garbage - The World Is Not Enough
You want a voice that relaxes, empowers, and charms you all at the same time? Listen to a Garbage album straight through. Shirley Manson has one of the greatest voices in modern music history, and this is one of the band's best songs.
Wu-Tang Clan - Bring The Ruckus
There's a running joke at my job about how everyone in my department should consider using Wu Tang Financials as an investment firm. The joke is an homage to a Chapelle's Show skit that portrays the rap group as investment brokers, quoting heavily from "Bring The Ruckus" and "C.R.E.A.M.". I chose the former for this list thanks in part to a chant of the song breaking out at a USA Soccer match.
Leningrad - Fish
I have no explanation why I like this song so much. It was just that damn catchy the first time I listened to it that I've relistened to the song 2-3 times a week since I first found the song in June. I blame the trumpets.
Tommy Heavenly6 - Black Paper Moon
At the end of this spring into the beginning of the summer, my girlfriend and I watched the entire Soul Eater anime series. Of the various anime shows/movies I've watched, Soul Eater has been my favorite, and "Black Paper Moon" was my favorite of the two theme songs the show used.
System of a Down - Aerials
I tend to go in cycles with SoaD. I'll go 6-12 months without listening to any of their music, then I'll suddenly go on a binge where they make up about 40% of the music I listen to at a time. Early in the summer, I was winding down one of my SoaD kicks, though Aerials has still stuck around, becoming my go to song to calm me down if I'm getting angry at traffic on my commute home.

A Perfect Circle - Judith
You want a great motivation song before going into a long day at work? Park your car, close your eyes, crank "Judith" to 11, and rock out in your car. Not only with the random hobo walking by your car not fuck with you, you'll be psyched and ready to conquer the day.
**************


Master List:


 To participate in the next Mixtape all you need to do is create a playlist between 10-15 tracks in length. You can post said list on Groove Shark, soundcloud, 8track or my preferred site: http://everyonesmixtape.com/ (You're also welcome to make your list available for download.)
You then write a short post about why you picked each track, and then that post goes live on another bloggers' page. In this way you could enlarge your readership, make new blogger friends and hear some new music! The tentative due date for posts to go live is November 15th. If interested, please send an email with your URL to mixxtape.makerz at gmail.com so that we can start looking at the numbers. Thank you very much--I'm really looking forward to seeing what inspires you this fall--musically speaking.


You have read this article blog ring / mixtape / summer with the title The songs we sang last summer. You can bookmark this page URL http://trendcelebrity2014.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-songs-we-sang-last-summer.html. Thanks!

No comment for "The songs we sang last summer"

Post a Comment