Google + Is it right for you?


Why I started using Google +
Yeah, but I mean, it wasn't that expensive. 
Some people come late to sex, still others come late to school. The only time I am ever late for anything is when I plan to be. I self identify as a geek. Not so much a nerd, because my number sense is a multiple of 'meh' divided by haven't I tested out of this yet?, and not a dork either, specifically because my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard. I mean, I could teach you, but...

Now when we're talking devices, the savvy geek always waits for the 2.0, maybe even the 4.0, to end up on Newegg or Priceminister. The spendy geek, by contrast, ends up with a device two sizes un-chique.

However, if we're talking applications, all geeks are expected to be on the Beta. It's not  a matter of pride, it's a force of habit. Not on Pottermore yet? Well, I guess I don't hold it against you...
 Jokes aside, Google plus offers some features both in privacy and organization that Facebook can not. It also borrows some fun elements that we've come to associate with Twitter and Skype, managing to wrap them all up into a pleasurable user experience that still has the power of exclusivity working for it, the way Facebook no longer does.
How I chose to organize my circles:
Circles are comprable to "groups" on Facebook in that you can close off information shared there from other users. On Facebook, this is a useful distinction if you only want to share something with your flatmates, or just people who went to your university, but on Google plus, that is the only way to share.
When you first open your account you have a few circles already lined up for you that you can add or remove persons from them.

The four circles that G+ sets as defaults are Friends, Family, Acquaintances and Following. I think the scale they are working with is one based on level of intimacy. But the family circle in my life is made redundant by the accountancies as both groups would likely object to the same sorts or articles, videos, images and language. Furthermore, following implies a non-congruency in our relationship and would therefor be reserved for celebrities.
Sadly, although it got all my irony amplifiers turned up to 11 to have Tom from Myspace in my circles, it so happens that celebrities have much too large an output for any of my other friends to show up in my feeds. Sorry Ms Day, for the record, I did want to date your avatar.
I took the organizing of my circles very seriously and when it belatedly occurred to me that "How could I not?" was the all catching receptacle for family and the uptight AND coworkers, I was more than just a wee bit smug.
I've seen a lot images on the net with derisive titles for circles but I don't need more than one group of people I don't want to talk to. In fact, most of the people, like my boss or my mom, that I will have to add out of politeness haven't even migrated yet. Considering that Dante had seven circles of Hell, I'm feeling pretty good about having narrowed it down to one.


I've been a user for some months now and I'm still uncovering functions and menus. The visual aspects of the user experience are well crafted.  On Facebook, making chat lists was a tedious process for me. The fact that many of the lists had to be compiled retroactively, coupled with the fact that they keep changing the parameters for chat, only added to its uselessness. About the only solid implementation I was pleased to encounter was group-only chat. This is a feature I've often-times used with my flatmates, but it is restricted to text-only at this point, so it's a better competitor for Gchat and AIM than Hangouts, FaceTime, Huddle or Skype.

Why Hangouts could put Skype out of business:
It's great to be a niche function, but multi-tasking is the surer path to longevity. I've used Hangouts a few times and been very satisfied with the results. By contrast, as Skype's popularity has grown, I've had more dropped calls and even more garbled conversation or lag in video. 
Beyond that, Skype still expects us to pay for group-chat when Google Plus has an exceptional platform, free of charge. Skype clearly isn't showing the adaptability that Facebook is, or the niche appeal that Twitter provides. This factor, ahead of any other, is the one reason I am likely to see my relatives migrating to Google Plus in the near future. And don't worry, Grandma--there is a games tab waiting. ;)
Why I still maintain my Facebook:
Google Plus, for all of its wonders, doesn't have enough going on for me socially yet. My pictures, videos and almost everyone I stalk are all still on Facebook. If you are facing the same dilemma, head on over to this Life Hacker article to learn how to migrate your videos, pictures, and how to update both profiles at once!
Predictions for future social networking:


There is no question that Facebook is still the leader on the board and they've shown fluency in reacting to and incorporating innovations, but there is something about newness that users like. When Facebook finished its cycle as a University-only site, there were users who swore to log out forever. Chances are they've changed their tune. We want to be connected. We want to be informed. We want an easy way to stay in touch with cool people we meet on vacation. Facebook is still that site. 

Competition is good. A lot of people are looking at Google Plus as just one more site they will have to manage. But I see it as a way to keep Facebook, or any of its serious competitors, fresh and innovative. Competition will ultimately lead to users getting more of the features we want--such as easier to navigate privacy options and greater transparency in ownership of the information shared. And so I leave you with this:


At bare minimum it's good news. Your move, Facebook.


You have read this article Circles / Google Plus / Laughing Squid Links / Life Hacker / Myspace / Pottermore / Skype / The Guild / The Oatmeal / Twitter with the title Google + Is it right for you?. You can bookmark this page URL http://trendcelebrity2014.blogspot.com/2011/09/google-is-it-right-for-you.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Google + Is it right for you?"

Post a Comment