What a fool believes

So a few things about things,  my favorite  convocation, I've been a wicked may-jah losah about commenting on all my friends blogs lately--even though I've been reading them in bits and snippets when I can. Frankly I've been working like a skinny tie, 80's upstart with an expensive drug habit. Or a mom with 10 children that are never going to college, if you like.  (One of them really should though, there is good money in that.)
I was very tempted to post and highlight the difference between my teaching resume and and my service/sales resume, but, for the sake of brevity, I will say instead that writing a curriculum vitae is all about constructing a narrative you can sell...
So anyway, I'm waitressing.
I have to balance plates on my hands and my arms, and I'm just learning to trust myself as I navigate the dining-rooms.
 The staff I work with is fluid and flexible and are all totally unafraid to put me in my place--which sometimes made me want to cry, but ultimately, is making me better.

The other night when I returned for my second shift, the back dining room was set up for a cocktail party. Upon inquiring with one of the old timers behind the bar, I was told the space had been rented by"Some theater thing, some--I don't know, film--we had them here last year too." He waved his hand dismissively and impressed me yet again with another perfect pour.
I was like, ok it's Paris, people are putting on little film things all the time, whatever. We closed the whole place down at 10 to the regular customers , who, while being forced to leave, were  whispering to me about how there were famous people in the next room and they wished they could get their autograph.  I was like, lol, the French. Them and their little icons whom no one else has heard of because they're not making films in English. Lolzorz. Lol. Sofunnyahahah.
Ignorant American?
Yes, I believe that passport needs a stamp.

So, the party gets going and my arms are totally loving their workout. I'm moving around the room collecting glasses and giving out finger foods. It's almost midnight, but I'm wide awake and  feeling pretty nostalgic reflecting back on that the idyllic Cape Cod summer my best friend and I catered for the company my sister was managing. The clip on ties and the Doobie Brothers all the time. Some Dj's never change, we were dancing till September everyday...
Atanyrate, being as disconnected with the world as I am, I had no idea who that good looking guy was or what other films he was in. So when I proffered a tray of sweets and pulled it away a few times il a'dit, "vous etes une blaggeur, non?"
"Pas trop" was my response.
Nothing more than that. But I googled the movie and the guy when I got home and realized belatedly that that guy was Jean Dujardin. This is why I don't have a bucket list, because how could you ever arrange to tease a famous actor who's up for an oscar?!

Anyway, in the name of balance, I was horribly sick the next day, my day off, and our anniversary. Sebastien is such a good, good man. His gift to me was a living document of the memories he could remember about our relationship in it's early years. We've only been together six, which makes me chuckle a little about what an old man Sebastien has always been.  It's a good read. It obviously made me cry and I would post it for you, but some of it is pretty naughty. There totally came a point where I said, 'Oh my, we must never let our children see this!'

He's better than I deserve, but I made him chocolate covered chips and Boeuf Bourguignon. We spent all of my tips from that shift on high quality ingredients and were not disappointed. I wanted to break out the champaign and try out some new cocktails but I'm generally not in favor of drinking when I am sick. And when I say genrally, I mean totally.
I had a fever for part of this sick-show and two of our friends came over because they didn't see my cancellation email. They had never seen me in my PJs either, or so near tears as when Sebastien accidentally bumped my arm.
YUP.
It was two single dudes, too. I'm sure they left greatly impressed upon.
Oh, speaking of my friends, Aude defended her dissertation on whether localizing circuits would increase pattern coherence of electrons in low-temperature environments would lead to, yeah I stopped reading too...
Whatevski--she did it! We so proud!

And if you're feeling mathy, and I know some of you are,  please check out my other friend's post doctoral project, Micro GP. He and his team have  developed an evolutionary algorithm to solve hard problems. It's open source and free, so use it and share it and see if you can give it something truly masterful  to consider. That is your homework. Well, that and this:

Yeah, he's one of those. But we don't hug, we french kiss. ;P
Don't worry about me, friends--haven't died, you and I are still cool. Even if you're not the sort of friend who will tell me when I've got something stuck in my teeth,  that means, at least, that I will never fart in front of you...
WHAT?
I fail to see how this is in any way a downside for you, I've been eating steak tartar.
Ok.
It's time for sleeps, my peeps.  Hasta luego.
You have read this article bronies / Doobie Brothers / Earth wind and Fire / evolutionary algorithm / Jean Dujardin / math / Micro GP / open source / The Post Modern Talk-o with the title What a fool believes. You can bookmark this page URL http://trendcelebrity2014.blogspot.com/2012/02/what-fool-believes.html. Thanks!

No comment for "What a fool believes"

Post a Comment